Saturday, October 3, 2009

Effects of Domestic Violence on Children and Teenagers

October is National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, so I'd like to share this article I came across today... I was the extremely introverted child and I was also very shy. I always thought introvert and shy were the same until I read another article. Anyway, the shyness is still there but I'm not as painfully shy as I used to be and I am still an introvert.
I'm not real good in social settings, never have been. Back in the day when I hung out with other girls, going to parties or whatever, I did my best to fit in but I was never comfortable on the inside. I am trying to work on my social skills. I have to admit that Choices (my way of reaching out to young people) has helped me with this because I'm being forced to talk to people so someone else will know about my book. Each time I leave the house I put promotional pens and business cards in my pocketbook and then whenever I see a woman or teenage girl who looks approachable (friendly face) I ask if I can give her a pen and/or a card. Oh, if the teenage girl is with her parent(s) I ask their permission.
So, I'm learning to open my mouth more even if I'm nervous about speaking up. My hairdresser told me once that God's trying to get me out of my comfort zone. Well, I can't say the zone I've had myself in for so many years is all that comfortable, but change would be good.

No comments: