Monday, August 25, 2008

My Youngest Son Is Entering Adulthood

A couple days ago I made a choice that was extremely difficult for me. I chose to accept the fact that my youngest son no longer needs my permission for every little thing he wants to do. He probably felt I was treating him like a child when I wouldn’t allow him to do certain things (staying out as late as his friends were allowed to, for instance), but I only wanted to protect him. That’s what a loving Mom does.
My son is entering adulthood. He has graduated high school and is now a freshman in college so, as much as it pains me to admit it, it’s time to let go. I need to let him live his life and make his own choices. Since I raised him, I know he’s a responsible young man capable of making good choices, so I believe he’ll stay on a positive course. But we all make mistakes. I hope that when he makes his, he’ll learn from them.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying he’s on his own. No matter how old he is, as long as I’m in this world, he will have my love and support. What I’m saying is he now has the freedom he’s been wanting.

2 comments:

Edgy Inspirational Author said...

Hey, nice looking son there. I started reading your book. :)

Katrina L. Burchett said...

Thanks, Michelle. I'll pass the compliment on to my son :) Also, I hope you're enjoying Choices. I'm certainly looking forward to reading your review. And I haven't forgotten about your book ;)