Tuesday, May 6, 2008

No More Regrets

Every now and then I wonder what I would be doing now if I would have gone on to get a college education after high school. Where would I be living? What profession would I be in? A degree in English would have been a likely choice, since I write. Or journalism? No, I don’t even like to read the paper or watch the news with so much bad stuff going on in the world. So, okay, I was pretty good in accounting in high school, so maybe I’d be an accountant right now. Or a financial advisor. For a long time I regretted not going to college, but even though I wonder occasionally how my life would be different if I did, there are no more regrets. I’ve been through a bit too much in my life to waste my energy dwelling on the past. And it's not like I couldn't still go, it just doesn't matter as much anymore.
It really does my heart good, though, that my oldest son, who’s been studious from day one, has earned a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics degree from the University of Maryland in College Park and is about to finish up his Master’s. And then he’ll be attending a Phd program. Let me tell you, this man loves to learn! And he speaks several different languages! God has a plan for his life, and he seems to be right on track. I am so proud of him and my youngest son, who graduates high school this year and wants to enroll in college as a pre-med student.
God has a plan for my life as well. I always knew that. I get in His way sometimes, and get off track every now and then, but He does have a plan. I know that so much more now, though, because I ended up in the hospital some months ago with failing kidneys and a staph infection in my bloodstream. I could have died, but I’m still here, and I’m still here for a reason. I’m thinking because my husband and sons need me. But I’m also thinking that the stories God put on my heart will have some significance in the lives of other people.
Last year I felt so strongly about publishing Choices, even though I wasn’t too sure what I was doing, and I certainly wasn’t sure how I was going to pay for it. But I checked out articles and books on publishing and went from there. I may not have a college degree and probably never will, but that’s okay because I do believe I am anointed to write. And when there’s an anointing, lack of a higher education cannot stand in the way. So write is what I will do, and I’m sure readers will enjoy my entertaining, thought-provoking stories, but, hopefully, they will also get something good from my work; something that changes their lives for the better.

No comments: